Thursday, January 3, 2008

A New Year Feast

I made it safely into Buenos Aires and found a hostel by the Congresso Plaza in the theater district. It just so happened to be around 5 blocks from the two Norwegians I met in Machu Picchu...this was no coincidence, we were planning on meeting. The two guys from Norway, Henrik and Colin introduced me to two Colombian girls they had met in Salta, and we planned a dinner for New Years at their hostel. 30 people had signed up for the meal, and it turned out to be a crowd of around 40...but no worries, because if you know me, I always cook plenty of food. I teamed up with one of the Colombians Alda, Christian from France, and Santiago the owner of the hostel, and we prepared a feast for kings and queens. The table was covered in wine and happy faces as we indulged into a meal prepared with love and lots of sweat. The weather has been in the upper 90´s the entire time I have been in Buenos Aires.
At midnight, we followed a Colombian tradition, eating 12 grapes and making a wish for each one. Then we put on something old, something new and something borrowed (nothing blue, however), and ran around the block. A sweet girl had a dress malfunction and ended up giving a show to some of the Argentinian men on the street corner. Luck was brought into the new year for all!
We danced in the streets throughout the night, to salsa and merenge, watching fireworks explode in the air, and sloppy drunks parading around singing. I ended up getting lost and roaming to a strange part of down as the sun was coming up. I went into a very nice hotel and asked to use the restroom. Following my hygienic recovery, I asked the front desk where I could find breakfast in the area. They pointed at the staircase and told me the buffet was down stairs. Still a little out of it from the previous 12 hours, I made my way down the stairs to white linens, polished silverware, a buffet from heaven and exquisite service. My luck has turned around in only five hours into the new year!
After my third cup of coffee, a nice lady came to me with a clip board and asked me for my room number. I looked at her with a Sean Tucker look of curiosity and told her I was on the third floor. She asked for my name, and in a movie star voice I told her, ¨Mr. Johnston.¨ She
looked through her clipboard and walked patiently to the back room. It was at that moment, I took one more sip from my coffee and proceeded to move very swiftly back up the stairs, thanking the security guard at the door, and hopping into a Taxi. I made my way home on a full stomach and with the smile of a mischievous little boy who just put a frog into his mother´s purse.
New Year´s day consisted of napping and Fredo ice cream, the best in Argentina. My friend Mario from England and I competed in the 1 kilo competition where I had chosen Banana, Espresso, and Dulce de Leche (Caramel). He went with a mixture of cream and sorbet...a smart choice. By the end, I was at the edge of regurgitation, however, I had enough caffeine from the espresso ice cream that I was doing cart wheels back to the hostel. My kick has just recently come down, two days later.
So I am about to cook dinner yet again with some friends at the hostel. So I must cut this one off, however, I want to wish you all a very happy new year. Mucho besos!


New Year´s feast at the hostel in San Telma.

My two chefs, Alda and Christoph

The Colombians, Alda and Andrea
Marius and me in the kilo eat-off.
Me after the kilo eat-off, getting ready to do a cart wheel.
Henrik, Colin (Norway) and Anna (Brasil) in the streets of B. Aires.