Monday, November 12, 2007

Boobies...Alas!

November 10, 2007
There I was, walking up from the lava stone dock on Seymour North Island in the Galapagos, with the sound of hungry Sea Lion pups yelping behind me, lizards crossing my path, horny male Frigates flying above my head and the Giant Land Iguana perched at the normal spot, underneath the Cactus...I saw my first boobies. They were a beautiful pair, perched so elegantly together, as if God wanted them to be in perfect unison for everyone to see. I wanted to grab them into my arms and squeeze them firmly with passion and tenderness...
At that very moment of pure excitement, the Blue Footed Boobies flapped their wings in dance and posed for the legendary tourist photograph...purely magical.
Seymour North is legendary for the breeding grounds of Blue footed Boobies and the Frigates. You will also find a massive colony of Sea Lions tending to their pups as well. It is a mysterious mating palace, with free rooms, to populate the dry island with some of the most interesting species I have ever seen.
Later on, I snorkeled for an hour with wonderful colors swimming around me in reaching distance as the tide pushed me through the lava rocks underneath the beautiful turquoise sea. Scarlet crabs surrounded my entrance to the white sanded beach, filled with large holes of buried treasure. This beach is on the north side of Santa Cruz Island where the tortoises are known to bury their eggs right in front of the ponds where you will catch the pink flamingos strutting. Sea Iguanas lied out on the beach, becoming even blacker than their usual tint, and I only turned a nice red, much like the stripes of the Union Jack Spider legendary to the islands.
I finished off the night with a little Galapagos bar hopping with a nice scuba diving instructor from Munich. Playing terrible pool, I spat off some witty German slang phrases, and we all laughed childishly. It was too bad that the time at the Galapagos had to end, but at least I found me some Boobies.
November 11, 2007
I took a taxi out to the ferry, which takes you across the canal to Malta, where a bus picks you up and proceeds to take you to the airport terminal. My first airport without walls, the noise and vibrations from the planes taking off and landing are quite powerful, a little too powerful when dealing with a hang over. This was the case for me and my new friend of whom I met in line. Her name is Cristina and she is from Quito, and we suffered our Chichetes (Quito slang for hangover) together as our turbulent flight was postponed, redirected for fueling, and a total of four hours late to the airport...much to the disgust of my two companions awaiting at my arival doorstep.
Nonetheless, my time with Cristina was wonderful, and she ended up meeting Landon a Lou, and then giving me a tour of here wonderful Colonial city filled with cathedral madness as well as a nice Mongolian recommendation for dinner.
November 12, 2007
Following a Landon detour, we made our way around the north side of Quito and headed south on the Pan American to Riobamba, where we now rest. The day was eventful. My daydreaming caught up with me, as I missed a red light, and my saddle bag went exploding into the highway. I should really stop doing that. So now I must bid on ebay for a new bag to be shipped to me in Santiago Chile, while I duck tape the one I have now, hoping my clothes will not die from moldy poisoning on the way down. But, I am happy.