Sunday, November 4, 2007

La Ciudad de Blanco (Popayan)





I am relaxing this Sunday afternoon updating my blog to the sound of motor scooters and merchants around the corner. I went with Landon and Lou to a Mass service this morning, collecting the smiles and songs of the Colombian religious type. It is an interesting perceptive of the Latin American culture when viewing it from a 500 year old Cathedral...quite poetic really.

We walked though the streets of the colonial town painted in white, looking for a cup of coffee and something sweet. We found a very nice place outside the Centro Market where young girls in pastry aprons were serving up strawberry shortcake for Landon, a caramel custard for Lou, and a tiramasu for myself. Reflecting on the Colombian culture with the boys, I wish I could describe to you how open and sincere the Colombian people truly are. You know how a very few people can spoil the fun for a group? The same thing is happening with the international media of Colombia. No one knows about the hard working citizens of this country, who ask me to go back home and tell the Americans, that Colombia is a very nice place to come too.

Yes, there are places in the southern jungles, where not even Joe Wilk and the Kung Fu posse would travel after dark...but that is not true with the country as a whole.

So as I walk through the streets of the Ciudad de Blanco, I ponder the question...How will our misconceptions change?