Monday, December 17, 2007

Beach, Vinyards, Mountains, and Chileans


Route 40 North to Mendoza, Argentina

City Streets of Mendoza, Argentina lined with Sycamore trees

My register clicking in at 10,000 miles south

Route 40 kilometer marker reminding me of my old house back on Quivira St in Hutch
My type of guys, headed west into Chile

The Inca Bridge up towards the Chilean pass, on the Argentina side
Suicidal dog by the Inca Bridge
Aconcagua Mountain in a snow storm. Climbs to 23,500 feet
The tunnel that crosses the border of Chile and Argentina at 3.100 meters
My welcome into Chile
The beach in Viña del Mar


Today, Lou and I had a nice breakfast at the Hotel in Los Andes, packed up our bikes and took off towards the Pacific. Passing more vineyards than in Mendoza, we were quick to discover the distaste that Chileans have for Argentine wine. It is a terrible feud between border wines, where Argentina is too humid to grow good wine, and Chileans cannot produce good grapes on the western side of the Andes. As for me, I remain neutral and drink lots of both.
We made it into Viña del Mar by noon, grabbed a couple cold ones and sat on the beach in the sun, watching the long traveled waves of the Pacific crash into the white sand. The city reminds me of a Miami, very modern with every western clothing store imaginable, Esso gas stations, and coffee shops by the beach.
After receiving a good red haupt, we decided to take off to Santiago. On the way out of town, we were stopped at a light where we met Roberto. He asked us where we were going, and we told him Santiago. So he told us to follow him. He took us to a gas station on the way, filled our tires with air, shared some Dulce de Leche treats, and even bought us lunch at an Argentinian steakhouse where we met his family. Tomorrow, we are headed south to his hometown, where vineyards surround his property and they will treat us to lunch yet again. Lou and I are having to figure up something really good to respond to such hospitality.
Tonight, I am headed into Bellavista to check out some night life here in Santiago. The night skies are clear, the weather is warm, and my taste buds are very satisfied. Enjoy some pictures on me.

Lighting fire works in the plaza of Cachi, Argentina....that Nanni Malbec was really good...and organic.

Here you go ladies!!!