Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sean´s top 10 adventures in Chile

I had a wonderful time riding through Chile with Lou. We shredded through mountain passes, relaxed on the beach, dined with a wonderful Chilean family at their home, tasted fantastic wines, and had eaten fresh Salmon of the Island of Chiloe. The country is lush, and beautiful, and welcoming...it was very difficult to leave such a unique place after visiting for only a week. Nonetheless, it is a long way through Patagonia to Ushuaia in Tierra de Fuego. So, I have come up with my top 10 adventures in Chile.

10. Following Route five down the entire countryside. It was a beautiful highway, and down south of Osorno, both sides of the traffic way are lined in daisies.
9. Having a little gay boy in Viña del Mar blow a kiss at me on the beach...it was really special.
8. Monday night out in Santiago may not be the most exciting night to explore the urban Chilean culture, however, I had a wonderful time diner hopping until 2 in the morning.
7. Cooking a German Potato salad and Snitzel in Vadivia, Chile...it is a town with very strong German influence. Wir haben auch Kunstmann bier getrunken!
6. Going swimming in Lago Lanquihue with the breathtaking Volcan Osorno in the back ground before our picnic in Frutillar. See picture of Sean without shirt on!
5. Cooking Chili in Chillan, Chile...it wasn´t chilly though.
4. Sitting by a campfire in Ancud on the island of Chiloe, just across from the bay. I was trying to convert to Australian Lesbians that night...quite unsuccessfully. Lou went on to add, ¨they may be lesbian, but it´s not as if their eyes have been poked out.¨ I believe they are just terribly lost young women.
3. I experienced my first earthquake in Los Andes. The ground started shaking, and Lou and I both jumped out of our beds. Lou goes, ¨Holy Cow, it is an earthquake.¨ I added, ¨Should we jump out of the window?¨ The ground finally stopped moving, and Lou asks, ¨what should we do?¨ I concluded while listening for a response around the hotel, ¨it does not seem that too many people are really worried about it.¨ It turns out, the Chileans have a different idea of an earthquake...this turned out to be only a 4.5 tremor.
2. Crossing back to the mainland on the ferry with our motorcycles from Isla Grande de Chiloe, we were looking off into the sea watching the flocks of pelicans look for breakfast and sea lions tend to their cubs. Lou and I were talking about movies, and I had mentioned that I hadn´t seen Titanic or Broke Back Mountain. He stood their with a peculiar face, and then asked me, ¨why is it those two particular movies of which you mentioned.¨ I quickly responded, ¨because I am uncomfortable with my own sexuality.¨ We both howled.
1. Lou and I had a wonderful experience at Roberto´s house outside of Milapillas. They have a remarkably beautiful family who have delivered unbelievable hospitality. And although, Roberto was 0 for 5 on hotel recommendations and watched me like a hawk as I spoke with his daughter, he is a very strong and wonderful man who has promised Lou a leather policeman jacket upon his return.

We crossed back over through the Andes into the lake district of Patagonia, Argentina. We are going to meet back up with Landon this afternoon and camp just east of San Carlos de Bariloche. I am not sure what our plans our for Christmas, but we are headed down to Ushuaia for the new year celebration. Until you hear from me again, I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. And to my friends who are not Catholic or Christian, please enjoy the season of liquidation sales and busy super markets. And be careful on those icy roads!

A red church on the side of the highway in Vicente Rosales national park, Chile. Coming back through the Andes to Argentina, towards Bariloche.
Lake Nahuel Huapi, just outside of Corentoso, Argentina. Salto de Laja waterfalls north of Las Angeles.
Glamour shots at Salto de Laja.
Volcan Osorno from Ruta 5 in southern Chile.
Going swimming in Lago Lanquihue with Volcan Osorno in the back.
Cathedral in Plaza de Armas in Santiago, Chile.
Basketball star Fernando trying out a BMW motorcycle.
The family Christmas tree at Roberto´s house.