Sunday, December 9, 2007

Humahuaca to Salta

A couple sprinkles fell from the clouds today on my two hour ride to Salta, Argentina from Humahuaca. It was nice, helping quench the heat underneath my heavy riding gear as well as providing a quick bath for my motorcycle who has taken on a film of earth over the last 9 thousand miles from Kansas City.
I found a nice hostel by the park in Salta, and after the gentlemen at the desk denied me on my negotiation of decreasing the night´s stay by 5 pesos because I did not have a place to park, he let me bring my motorcycle into the hostel lobby for the night. He went on by saying, that there was another man from Germany who came here on a motorcycle and parked in the lobby...but his bike was much newer than mine. I said, well yes, but I have much more style than those uptight Germans.
I went for a walk through the park, where kids were feeding the ducks and fish on a similar diet...popcorn and cotton candy. The merchants were selling leather goods and jewelry, and children maneuvered through the pond on paddle boats.
I took a right hand turn and went into the Centro, where I found beautiful cathedrals painted in colours that only the sun could come up with. Beautiful people surrounded me in the plaza, holding hands on park benches and discussing historical political figures of the State of Salta at the display on the side. In the background, I heard a very familiar tune...it struck me, I had not heard such a tune for a while, I smiled and said, ¨yes, that is American Hip Hop music.¨ I followed my senses and came up to the gazebo on the east end of the plaza, which so happened to be covered with young b boys and b girls. As I stood there, and took myself back to the subways in Queens, the streets in Chicago, the concerts in KC, and the clubs in Berlin, I could not help to smile in pure joy...for American culture can be seen in Salta.

Parque San Martin in Salta
Cathedral San Fransisco in Salta
This b boy is truly a boy...he´s like 10 and crazy ill.
Just makes me smile.