Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Passport held hostage!!!!

I made it to the border of Peru and Bolivia on the lakeside just outside of Copacabana, at around 4:30 in the afternoon. It was no problem exiting Peru, and I crossed over with my bike in order to get checked into Bolivia.
Lou and Landon had crossed five days earlier, and had a wonderful experience and told me to cross at this border. So when I went up to the customs agent and handed them my passport, they then went to tell me that I needed to buy a $100 visa to enter the country. What?!!!

US Embassy in La Paz, Bolivia
Starting December 1st, 2007, all US tourists entering into Bolivia through the airport or any other border crossing will be required to purchase a $100 visa upon entrance.

What luck this young gringo from Kansas has.
So they are holding onto my Passport at the border until the banks open today in order for me to pay for the visa. Another option would be to head back into Peru and go into Chile and then Argentina. However, I am limited on the number of pages in my Carne, and I want to save them for later when I cross borders in the south.
So, it looks as though i will take one from the old sunless side and pay over my daily salary in order to make up for the political mistakes our politicians in America so frequently make.